My Top Ten “Gateway” Books/Authors in my Reading Journey
1. J.K. Rowling – Harry Potter
– The harry potter series was the first ‘big’ book that I read when I was 6 years old. It is the series that sparked my love for reading and helped me believe in the magic of writing. I have a big place in my heart reserved for this series and I will never forget it. I will read this book time and time again and read it to any future children of mine, so they get a chance to experience the magic for themselves.
2. Roald Dahl
– As a child Roald Dahl captured my imagination and along side Harry Potter taught me to love reading. His tales were full of adventure and humour, a perfect mix for a young me. Danny the champion of the world and The witches were a personal favourite.
3. Rick Riordan – Percy Jackson
– Ah, where do I start with this! This is another series that helped inspire me to become a bookworm, even if i did read it a little later at the rough age of 13. I have this series to thank for my fascination for mythology and ancient history, leading me on to love any book i can find that centres around Greek, Roman or Egyptian myths! I have the first Percy Jackson novels all on a DS game – they are brilliant with moving bits and a myth dictionary thing!
4. Eoin Colfer – Artemis Fowl
– I read this series at roughly the same time as I read Percy Jackson, so love it for similar reasons. I could say that this was the first Science Fiction series that I read and therefore sparked my love for that genre. P.S the DS version Eoin is playing below is the version of the books that I own!
5. Horrible Histories – Terry Deary
– The only non fiction books I have ever enjoyed reading, sparking my love for history which I now have studied all the way to A-Level. I used to love the Horrible Histories CD’s that came in cereal boxes, the first audio books I listened to!
6. The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
– This book series gets pride of place of introducing me to the lovely world of Dystopian, of which I now have an obsession with!
7. Goosebumps – R.L. Stine
– I thank this series for getting me into the horror genre!
8. Alex Rider – Anthony Horowitz
– I thank this series for getting me into spy and mystery novels.
9. The House Of Night – P.C and Kristin Cast
– I can thank this series for many things. First for introducing me to YA novels. Second for introducing me to vampire novels. Third for introducing me to Paranormal Romance and most importantly for spurring my love of myths and ancient history even further. Oh, and my fascination with the Wicca religion – it is very interesting.
10. Shiver – Maggie Stiefvater
– I have this novel to thank because it got me back into reading. I had gone through a patch of reading a few dull books so was a little bored and down. But as soon as I picked up this novel, my enthusiasm for reading came bouncing back!